twitterpinterest

Thursday, February 16, 2012

I finally made it to Oprah!! (Remembering Whitney Houston)


Tonight I will sit down with a heavy and hurting heart as I re-watch Oprah Winfrey's interview with my idol Whitney Houston. As reflect on my birthday in 2009 sitting in the front Harpo Studio I was so happy and honored to be there I tried to keep my cool on the outside but my heart was beating a mile a minute with pure excitement.

 Although Oprah told us that Whitney would not be there I knew Whitney  there was no way in the world she would not let a room full of her #1 fans down so I sat, I waited, I watched and listened to every word of that prerecorded interview and just when I thought I could not love Whitney anymore that interview proved to me wrong she was so honest, open and carefree and absolutely beautiful  up there on that screen in the studio..

During the time I was sitting there an all of a sudden I saw out of the corner of my eye a small blue light it up and being an event planner and working with lighting I knew something was going on behind that curtain! Then I heard this very familiar cough and I said actually screaming  to myself oh Lord Whitney is on the other side of that wall!! I didn't say anything to any one especially to my dear friend Noel who had traveled to Chicago with me the night before i knew she would really go nuts but I knew I was just a few feet away from my idol Whitney!

Then it happened Oprah announced "Whitney Houston!" I jumped out of my seat at that point all coolness was out the window and when I looked up there she was in all of her splendor, grace,beauty and glory descending the staircase to the stage was "The Voice" Ms. Whitney Houston and when she looked directly at me and sang and smiled  I had no ideal that,  that would be the last time I would hear her beautiful voice alive and in person up until February 12, 2012 sitting in my cousin living room with my husband I truly believed I would be at another concert clapping my hands, dancing, singing loud and having a wonderful time like I had done before.

Many people asked how did you get to go to the show??? Well Oprah asked for her fans to email them and tell them why are"You are Whitney Houston's biggest fan and how her music has touched your life" and I submitted my email the words I wrote that day was honest and open I was sharing  my life as I think back now I hope and I pray that Whitney read my words that I will never know but what I do know is that I heard hers words.....

I had no idea how  "I Didn't Know my Own Strength" would touch my life on  Thursday July 29, 2010 less then a year later I  received a phone call that changed my life it was my aunt and she was telling me  my cousin had been shot and he was dead in that moment my heart was shattered and tonight it still is.....  The pain I felt was unbearable I couldn't understand why someone would take his life all he did was go to the store to buy snacks for his daughters...... The first verse said it all and I will quote it here: " Lost touch with my soul I had no where to turn I had no where to go lost sight of my dream I thought it would be the end of me, I thought I'd never make it through I had no hope to hold on too I, I thought I  would break I didn't know my own strength and I crashed down and I tumbled but I did not crumble I got through all the pain I didn't know my own strength survived my darkest hour my faith me alive I picked myself back up hold my head up high I was not built to break I didn't know my own strength. Found hope in my heart I found light to light my way out of the dark I found all that I need here inside of me."

Out of all of the things that have been said about Whitney I will forever remember her on that day September 2009 as  the proud beautiful and talented woman that she was....


Below the actual post a few days after returning from The Oprah Winfrey Show and a link to view her performance of I Didn't Know My Own Strength":

One of my biggest dreams has been to go to the Oprah Winfrey Show!! Finally my dream came true not only did I make it to the show on my birthday September 3 I also got to sit in the FRONT row and  see my favorite singer Ms. WHITNEY HOUSTON for those of you who do not know I happen to be her BIGGEST FAN!!! Just by chance if you do not believe I was there or that MS. WHITNEY HOUSTON is the BEST click on the following link from the Oprah Winfrey show and see for yourself!!( I'm the one that you see immediately after Oprah announces Whitney Houston oh the the lady behind me in the pink blouse is my Best-friend she was told to look at the stage instead she was looking at the camera and that clueless look on her face was priceless!!)

Lisa Smith thinks you'll enjoy this video at Oprah.com: http://www.oprah.com/media/20090903-tows-whitney-houston-sings

No comments: